Sunday, June 12, 2011

Finding My Way

I am directionally challenged. It's a bit of a family joke, as I once went out for morning doughnuts and ended up in another state. Yeah, without the doughnuts. Nice drive, but not what I meant to do.


Sometimes I truly enjoy the twists and turns in the road that take me in a new direction. This morning, for example, I had a 10:00 a.m. appointment, but left the house at 7:30 thinking I'd run some errands first and finish just in time. I ended up with some time to kill, so I wound my way through some neighboring towns I'd never visited.  It was a lovely morning for a drive, and I found two nature areas that provided a few minutes of respite. So it was great. 


On the other side of the coin, though, are the twists and turns that make me uneasy. The kind where I don't know where I'm going, and I don't know what to expect, and I don't really want to go into something new! I know those happen to everyone--the old chestnut, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." But you'd think by this age---OLD---I'd be better prepared to go with the flow, and take changes in stride. Nope, not me. I throw a hissy fit, I curl up in a ball, I lose sleep. WTF.


I intend to work on my ability to just go with it. I love learning, and I know that each unexpected twist is an opportunity, so I'm going to strive to look for the lesson.  I'm going to go back to my meditation/mantra breathing. I want to ease on down the road, not careen wildly, trying to get back on the "right" path. 


Okay, now where did I put my keys? 

No comments:

Post a Comment