Sunday, July 24, 2011

Winning?

http://www.cookerati.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MiniPeppersMiniYellowSquash.jpg
                           
I think I've ended my streak of death and destruction. When it comes to growing things, I have a lllooonnnggg history of taking innocent lives. I am the person who killed the indestructible jade plant in college. I'm the person who grew an unhealthy-looking stick out of an avocado seed. Spider plant cuttings have never taken root under my watch, though actual spiders seem to thrive in my house. And last year, my lone green pepper grew large, with a walnut-sized hole through its center, until the local squirrel made it into his lunch.

But maybe, just maybe, those days are over. I have a blooming--nay, FLOURISHING!--garden!! It's small, yes, but it's STILL ALIVE.  Even though I didn't plant until mid-June, even though I used two-year-old seeds, EVEN THOUGH we're in the midst of the worst heat wave since 1988, MY GARDEN IS GROWING! (Guess I'm in a caps kind of mood this morning). If this continues, I will have 4 kinds of sweet peppers, 4 kinds of summer squash, and lots of herbs to freeze, come fall. This is incredible. Unbelievable. Unprecedented.  I can't wait to eat the fruits of my labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment